One of my favorite things to prepare in batch and have around the house is granola, it’s really easy and one of my favorites to have for breakfast or snack. Back in Hong Kong or France it was quite easy to find organic granola in supermarkets but since coming to Japan I realized it was either overpriced or most of the times actually not really healthy and mixed with lots of preservatives and sugar. The good thing about making your own granola is that you know each of your ingredients you are gonna be putting into your body, and you can select your favorite ingredients to put in.
My basic granola recipe is super simple. I like to use a base of oats then add some of my favorite nuts and dried fruits and then mix it with a mixture of coconut oil and sweetener of my choice. For today’s granola I decided to put together an autumnal fruits & nuts selection such as some pecans, pumpkin and sunflower seeds with some dried figs, apricot and some apple chips. I wanted this granola to nearly look like fallen autumn leaves by using the most “fall” ingredients. I think this selection came together well in terms of those colors don’t you think ? As for flavoring I used some pumpkin spice, with maple syrup as sweetener to add that cozy flavor.
- oven or microwave oven
- a big bowl
- 300 g Rolled Oats
- 100 g Sunflower Seeds
- 65 g Roasted Pecan Nuts
- 30 g Sliced Almonds
- 100 g Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 20 g Dried Apples or Apple Chips
- 30 g Sliced Dried Figs
- 100 g Chopped Dried Apricots
- 60 g Goji Berries
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 5-6 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice ( cinamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, cloves)
- Preheat your oven to 170C.Then mix all of your chopped dried fruits, nuts and oats along with your spice mixture.
- Melt your coconut oil ( I use the microwave for about 30sec at 600w), and add that with some maple syrup to your granola mix and make sure that everything is well mixed and coated with your coconut oil/ maplesyrup.
- Once everything is well coated, transfer into a baking tray. I like to line mine with prachment paper for easy cleanup afterwards. Spread your mixture out and bake in the oven for about 15 mins.
- At the 15 mins mark, take your tray out and mix around your granola once before putting it back in the oven for another 15 mins. This ensures that everything gets nice and toasted.
- Take your granola tray out of the oven and let it cool down on the counter. Once cooled down, break them up with your hands and transfer into a container for storage
I love making these granolas on a Sunday afternoon/evening to help me kickstart the weeks healthy breakfasts. I hope you enjoyed this recipe and try it out and don’t forget to tag me on your creations @avec_louie and #aveclouiecooks. You can also find the recipe for my easy peasy apple compote here on the blog.